In 2018 I will be presenting my work in Connected Flow at the Society for Shamanic Practitioners Conference. And I will be teaching Connected Flow in workshops beginning October 2018. The Shamanic presentation and workshops will use the shamanic journey to connect us with the power and spirit of nature's rhythm. Equine bodywork workshops will be all about technique, while stressing the importance of being in tune with the rhythm of the water as you work. Different language. This page is a reference for my outlines and notes for these presenations.
What is Fascia? Its structure and function in a nutshell.
- Loose fascia fills our interstitial spaces, and hydrates our movements. Deep fascia holds our parts, and creates form and movement.
- Fascia acts as a secondary nervous system, both in its chemical communications, and its interlinked nature, holding us up with tensegrity.
- Adhesions and other blockages in the fascia create widespread movement inhibition. The spiral fascia gets blocked, and life's flowing energy gets blocked.
- References: Functional Fascia, Slings in Motion, Anatomy Trains, National Institute of Health, the fascial system
Images of Tarantello. I participated in the dissection with Equine Studies Institute, in March 2018, led by Sharon May Davis.
Water, Fascia, and Release
The importance of water in fascia
- The water in the fascia has the same chemistry as sea water
- We can merge with the energy and flow of the ocean, and pass that wave through our hands into the body of our client
- That wave will resonate in the fascia, and the client will experience deep releases of restrictions in the fascia (and tension in the muscles?).
Fascia's mirrors: Mycilium and the Stars
Fascia looks amazingly like mycelium and star stuff. Its as though we are mirrors of above and below. Mycelium is the fungus, mushroom's roots, that wraps around roots, and decaying matter. Mycelium is the 5th kingdom, and permeates the soils across the planet. The heavens shimmering web of life is evident in all sorts of ways - the Star's light, Dark Matter itself, and of course, the fabulous Gas Nebulas from which we are all born.
In between the sky and earth is us - of course! And here are some images to help draw this wisdom forward. In Connected Flow we call in the Spirits of the earth, the stars, the water and our sacred center tree, with the intention of bringing the Flowing Rhythm in this interwoven web through our hands to help our clients.
Connecting to the Flow
When we connect to the flowing energy of the stars, the earth and the water, we can pass that power through our hands, and create deep relaxation and release in our clients (and ourselves!). I will lead us through this Shamanic connection. It involves a lot of merging!
Experience the Healing
It's really amazing to Connect, and then lay our hands onto a friend, with the intention of discovering and releasing their fascial restrictions. We will do this together in the workshop. First, Flowing though places where we are commonly restricted (should for example) and then asking our hands to speak to the body through the flow, and working on the places the body says it needs. We will be fully clothed and our hands will be on safe places at all times.
We will discover that the Flow Rhythm is often the same as the client's cranial rhythm. This allows us to use Connected Flow as a form of cranial sacral treatment, especially with horses. I use it to accentuate a release, and to bring the horse to still point. I don't personally try to release each little head bone, I work on the main fascial bands across the horses whole body.
Hands on with Animals
I will present a series of techniques you can use with horses, dogs and cats, to bring the Connected Flow through their bodies, to release common fascial restrictions our 4 legged friends experience.